[Baypiggies] Challenge/Response email systems

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri Jun 16 08:24:39 CEST 2006

------- On Thursday, June 15, 2006 aahz at pythoncraft.com wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> On 6/15/06, Aahz  wrote:
>>>
>>>Speaking as a mailing list administrator, anyone who leaks a challenge
>>>to the mailing list OR who sends a challenge to a list subscriber as a
>>>result of a post to the list -- both of which I've seen happen -- gets
>>>immediately banned.

Gulp.  Well, so far so good.

>> OK, feel free to ban me *and* Marilyn. :-)

Hey!  ;^)  Speak for yourself.  You brought the challenge to the list.

> Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm talking about the challenge itself, not
> a challenge forwarded to complain about it.  So far, I haven't seen this
> happen on baypiggies, and I would expect that someone as careful as
> Marilyn probably won't cause that kind of problem, but because I have
> seen misconfigured challenge systems do that, I felt that I needed to
> make a Pronouncement.  ;-)

Bugs abound.

What's the policy about vacation messages that run amuk?

BTW, it's exactly the same algorithm, just a different auto-responder.

A few weeks ago a list that I serve and administer had a guy's vacation program that not only responded to list traffic, but also didn't keep track of the addresses it had already responded to.  So it responded again to itself when it came around the list, and again, ...  I don't know how many pages of messages we all got because I searched and deleted them without looking past the first few pages.

So, is it the same policy?  Immediate banishment for any auto-responder that has run amuk?

Marilyn