[Baypiggies] Challenge/Response email systems

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sat Jun 17 16:44:42 CEST 2006

----- On Friday, June 16, 2006 aahz at pythoncraft.com wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>>
>> I haven't looked at other CR systems in a long time.  They used to all
>> go to the web.  I don't quite understand how to do it as a reply-to-
>> the-email-message.  The challenge would have one image in the email
>> and ask you to put the response where?
>
> Oh, an image.  And where does that put those of us who mostly use
> text-only systems or blind people?

Now that is an issue!  What is the right thing?  Provide a telephone number?

After a night's sleep I remembered the problem we see with Ken's suggestion:

> My understanding is that there are a couple kinds of CR systems.  One kind
> is blind, and sends a
> challenge to anyone not on a whitelist (call this Blind CR), and another
> kind that only sends a challenge when the email is:
>
>    1. Not on whitelist.
>    2. Has a moderately high spam score.
>    3. Doesn't have a super high spam score (just dump these in the spam
> bucket).

Say that Guido's message had a low spam score and was delivered into my inbox.  Does that automatically put him on my white list?  What if his second message has a high spam score? Does he get a challenge on his second message?

Ken, do you know how that works?

Marilyn