[Baypiggies] Challenge/Response email systems

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Sat Jun 17 21:07:05 CEST 2006

steve hindle wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Ken Seehart <ken at seehart.com> wrote:
>>  4. Is there anything as bulletproof as CR, but without the problems?  And I
>> am not asking about
>>  better filters (that's just an ongoing battle against better spam).
>>

> I know the 'designated sender' system(s?) were causing a stir a while back...
> I forget the acroynm but I believe it worked by adding DNS records
> indicating which mail servers were 'authorized' to originate mail for
> a particular domain.  I believe AOL was backing/implementing a version
> of it.  Don't know what the outcome was, but I sure someone on the
> list can shed more light on it.

SPF (sender policy framework). http://www.openspf.org/

If every domain would put a SPF record in their DNS, and if every mail
system would verify and drop mail that was sent from a source that
didn't match the domain's SPF record, then spoofed mail would be a thing
of the past.

At which point, C/R systems could actually have a hope of working.

At the moment, my mail server filters hundreds of junk mail per hour.
But only a handful of the domains where the junk mail is allegedly
coming from have SPF records set up.

All the big ISP's are tending to have SPF records these days, though.

--
Paul McNett
http://paulmcnett.com