[Baypiggies] list mail and gmail ?

Rick Kwan kenobi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 21:59:38 CEST 2006

On 6/19/06, Anna Ravenscroft <annaraven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/06, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 19, 2006, Anna Ravenscroft wrote:
> > >
> > > To clarify: the list setup is what tells gmail that baypiggies is a
> > > cc: instead of a To:
> > > In other words, gmail is behaving: it's doing exactly what the list
> > > maintainers want it to do, rather than what you want it to do.
> >
> > All correct!  As you said earlier, my experience is that it's overall
> > worth some nuisance in sending e-mail to the list because that keeps
> > private e-mail off-list.
>
> I wish it worked. ;-) If I'm in the habit of hitting "reply to all" to
> even when I'm replying to the individual. Oops. We've seen it happen
> on this list before. I've done it too and felt really silly
> afterwards. Ah well. Can't make anything idiot-proof - idiots are far
> too ingenious! (and we all have "idiot" moments.)
>
> What I will *not* do is go out of my way to change the default
> reply-to-all behavior. If the list-owners want the only way to reply
> to the list is to send an email "To" the person and "cc" the list,
> then that's what's gonna happen. Certainly you don't expect every
> single person on the list to edit the to-line every time they send a
> reply to the list. I was actually surprised to hear that anyone does
> that.

I believe that 'anyone' = 'me' in this case. :-)  For that list, I
originally had Mailman configured so that replies go to the list.
However, there were several user who were surprised to see replies
they had intended for the an original sender end up on the whole list.
 These users are not computer scientists or web developers, but rather
engineers (plus a few teachers , biologists, and physical scientists)
working on non-computer end products.  I don't know what types of mail
clients they were using, how the options were presented to them, or
how much they participate in other lists; but I'm starting to suspect
that these all were factors.

As for replying to the whole list, I suspect they have the list
address in their addressbooks already.  A few keystrokes then match
the address desired.  So far, no one has complained about the change,
and list traffic is only slightly reduced.

--Rick Kwan