[Baypiggies] Beazley 3rd edition heads up

m h sesquile at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 19:39:59 CET 2006

I was one of the lucky few who got a copy at PyCon.  I'll try to
remember to bring it tomorrow night if anyone is interested in looking
at it.

I have a pretty hammered 1st edition.  Since I have more of a
photographic memory, I prefer physical books, rather than online
references.  But recently the staleness of the old version was getting
to me and I was hitting docs.python.org quite a bit.  I make notes in
my reference books, and use them instead of memorizing stuff (try not
to clutter my brain).

Some initial thoughts:
* The book is about twice as thick.  (I consider this bad, since I
like the K&R like size of the old version)
* The new index is about 75 pages vs 45 for the old
* The margins on the pages are a bit smaller (bad for people who like
to markup their book).
* Even with the increased size, some libraries recieve very little
treatment.  (One example is distutils/setup.py)

-matt