[Baypiggies] ADMIN: reposting private e-mail

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri Mar 31 18:07:16 CEST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Aahz wrote:

> <admin hat on>
>
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> >
> > Here's what happened off line.  I don't know why, maybe to save
> > bandwidth for the rest of the community?
>
> Even with that widely spread a To: list, please do not re-post private
> e-mail without permission.  You never know when someone might have e.g.
> included a phone number they don't want broadcast.  It's almost
> impossible to remove a list post from the python.org archives.
>
> (It's not a big deal this time, I just want to clarify the list rules.)

Thank you Aahz.  I didn't know that old rule still existed here.

Baypiggies list people, please don't send me private mail about
baypiggies business.  That puts me between a rock and hard place
because I have a rule *not* to respect the privacy of email sent to me
because of my participation in an email list -- unless there is a
prior agreement.

Agreed that there is no issue this time, but if unpleasant private
mail comes to a person because of her participation in an email list,
I think it is her right and duty to post it to the list so that
everyone is aware of the behavior, and so that she doesn't have to
bear the pain of it alone.  A rule like baypiggies', although it is
the traditional ole internet rule, invites private abuse.

And as a rule, I don't participate in secrecy so please don't ask me
-- unless we are making plans for a surprise party.

I do have a sense of what is appropriate, I think.  So if you invite
me to lunch, I won't post that.

And as a rule, I don't have rules.  ;^)

Thank you for listening.

Marilyn