[Baypiggies] Python Job posting- still allowed ?

Mike Cheponis mac at Wireless.Com
Wed May 10 23:12:12 CEST 2006

Thanks all.

Think about how much easier it would have been to post this initially, rather than begging the question:

     * You must subscribe to the BayPIGgies mailing list so that you can read discussion of your ad
     * Principals only, no recruiters. We prefer ads to come from technical people to make it easier to get questions answered
     * Each company may post one ad per month
     * Please make clear how Python will be used on the job
     * Please restrict the geographic region to the greater SF Bay Area, roughly south to Monterey, north to Santa Rosa, and east to Sacramento

I think this policy is short-sighted.

There is enough noise on this list so that, for example, a company posting TWO per month (or, gosh, even THREE) would not make a detectable difference traffic.

But it's the meta-effect that I worry about: By getting a flow of offered jobs, we can all see what is in demand, what is considered essential by the market, what we might want to concentrate on to remain relevant.

Bottom line: I'd like to see MANY more job ads on this list, interspersed with the general list chatter (by people who almost never come to the meetings, I might add... Maybe we should make a policy that you can't post to the list unless you attend at least half the meetings in a given 12-month period?  Just a thought...).

I hope the Survey that is being talked about at Thursday's meeting has addressed this issue about job postings.