[Baypiggies] Participation and improvement [Was: Re: Python Job posting- still allowed ?]

tpc247 at gmail.com tpc247 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 13:55:23 CEST 2006

On 5/10/06, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Let's go meta on this.  Here's a question for folks here: as a
> professional programmer, what other community resources do you use to
> become better at what you do?  Are there local workshops or classes in the
> area that have been particularly effective and successful?

hi Danny, haven't seen or heard from you in a while, hope everything is well
with you.  To answer your question, I really enjoyed the Object Oriented
Design class from Allen Holub offered in his house in Berkeley.  After I
came out of that class, I realized I needed to read more on design patterns
and test driven development.  The class taught me that 75% of software
projects fail, not because the software doesn't work, but because it doesn't
do anything useful. What was emphasized in the five day class was the
primacy of object oriented design and design patterns in creating software
that is easy to maintain and to upgrade.