[Baypiggies] ctypes presentation material online

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri May 12 19:21:04 CEST 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Dennis Reinhardt wrote:

> I have now posted my ctypes presentation material online linked at
> http://www.spamai.com/present/  Format is zipped PDF, about 270 KB.

Thank you Dennis.  That was an interesting little talk.  And you
started 1 minute late.  That was only because the first group of us
wasn't let in until 1 minute late.  You were ready!

(I'll also comment that Alex helped me find the bathroom, which was
close by, so I didn't miss very much.  AND the toilet seat was warm!
I never experienced anything so luxurious.  Shocking at first though.)

But, back to the talk, I particularly appreciate that you exposed the
big problem you had.  You defined something as 2-longs, and then used
it as 4-longs, crashing malloc like a C program.  Ouch.

You know, there's a whole industry devoted to finding that sort of bug
in C code, because it is so hard to find.  You're not really doing
python when things get that hard.

If you had it to do over again, would you use ctypes?  Or try one of
the other options, even though they take more memory?

Marilyn