[Baypiggies] [OT] IronPort Blacklists Google

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat May 13 02:56:41 CEST 2006

>> I presume that someone malicious is submitting gmail addresses to cause
>> trouble, not that IronPort or Google are at direct fault.
>
> No, but it does show how vulnerable all ip's, i.e., all of us, are to
> attack via blacklists.
>
> I note that deliberate.com is still blacklisted by Paul's intersight.com
> system, even though I went to the url and filled in the form long ago,
> and, even though there can not be any legitimate claims of spam against
> deliberate.com.
>
> Blacklisting is not a good idea.

Hi Marilyn,

I also wanted to add that this issue heavily affects Stanford too, enough
so that they've had to write a FAQ about it:

     http://www.stanford.edu/services/email/antispam/blacklist.html

When I was working at Carnegie, SpamCop often blocked us enough that it
was causing some major headaches.  I agree with you: the problem is that
some email admins depend solely on a blacklist, which ends up a fragile
solution to spam.