[Baypiggies] Python Logging Module

steve hindle mech422 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 00:59:13 CEST 2006

Hi all,

  I have a couple of problems with the 'logging' module in the python
stdlib, and was wondering if anyone knew of a 'better' logging module?
 Specifically, I have the following problems:

1.) lack of "(func)" tag for inserting function/method name in the log record
     Ok, everyone mentions this, so might as well get it over with
2.) logging.config _disables_ all existing loggers when loading a new
config file
     Can't break logging configs down into small, bite-sized pieces
     (e.g. 1 file per module, 1 file per script, etc.)
3.) Can't _STOP_ propagating a log message after it's handled
     'propagate' has no concept of 'propagate until someone deals with this'.
     This results in my top-level, 'catch-all' logger logging all message - even
     if they have already been proccessed
4.) Crufy config file syntax
     This is the ConfigParser modules 'fault'.  But it still results
in nasty config files for
     logging.

Those are my biggest problems - anyone know of a logger that improves
these points ??

Steve