[Baypiggies] Is plone fo me?

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Sat Sep 9 16:33:43 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 21:17 -0700, Ken Seehart wrote:

> I have no use for things like user customizable skins since
> only a few people will have accounts, and the target audience will be
> anonymous read-only users.

You may take it as read that I concur with everything Steve already told
you.

I'll just add that I think you may be mistakenly assuming that the only
use of 'skins' in Plone is to give users the ability to change the look
of the site. That isn't so. I'd say that most public Plone sites turn
off the user-switchable skin feature, but they still use skins to change
the default look and feel.

Any part of the look that you want to change that can't be accomplished
by changing configuration, find the right template in the skins and
click the 'customize' button. This creates an editable copy of the
template file in the 'custom' skin, which overrides the original. Edit
it, hit save, and reload the site (in another browser window) to see the
change immediately.

This is a pretty simple and direct model for accomplishing look and feel
changes *very* quickly.

All that said, you do have a couple of other choices in the Zope-based
CMS world that you might want to check out:

        Silva (which is generally simpler than Plone):
        http://www.infrae.com/products/silva

        Nuxeo CPS (which is roughly equivalent to Plone: More
        sophisticated in some ways, less in others):
        http://www.cps-project.org/

But Plone is definitely the most popular choice these days.

- Michael Bernstein