[Baypiggies] Quality Assurance Engineer for Real Time Market Data Product

Keith Simmons KSimmons at factset.com
Wed Sep 13 01:00:54 CEST 2006

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to fill a QA position that will be responsible for
testing our real time market data infrastructure.  The servers in this
infrastructure distribute messages (several thousand per second) from
financial markets to clients spread around the globe in a low latency,
fault tolerant manner.   The high load and zero downtime requirements make
the problems we tackle pretty interesting, and allow us to play with some
cool technologies, like customized data compression and streaming
databases.

Previously, the only way to interact with our server was via our GUI app,
which introduced a layer of complexity that often masked data issues and
made the primarily manual QA process difficult and error prone.  However,
recently, one of our developers created python bindings directly into our
c++ server code, allowing us to interact with the server infrastructure
via a python script.  This tool gives us a new level of flexibility and
will hopefully open the door for a much more thorough, automated QA
process. Now we need to find someone to lead this effort.  The ideal
candidate will have an interest in QA but also have strong engineering
skills and python experience (I imagine the latter is a given considering
the list I'm posting this on).  They will be responsible for creating an
automated QA process, which means writing python scripts and possibly
building new QA tools.  The full description is below.  If you have any
questions, feel free to contact me directly at ksimmons at factset.com.

Keith

FactSet Research Systems is a major supplier of online integrated
financial and economic information to the investment management and
banking industries.  For analysts, portfolio managers, investment bankers
and other financial professionals, FactSet is a comprehensive, one-stop
source of financial information and analytics.
FactSet is currently looking for a Software Quality Engineer.  This
position is responsible for verifying the accuracy and reliability of
Factset?s real time server under all working conditions.  To uphold
quality standards, the engineer will be required to create, maintain, and
execute an automated suite of scripted tests which will scan for bugs in
new server builds as well as ensure production servers are functioning
properly.  A successful candidate will be a good communicator, detail
oriented, familiar with the requirements and pitfalls of server
development, and comfortable with scripting languages.

Responsibilities
?        Design, implement, and execute automated tests of Factset?s real
time server using a high level scripting language
?        Creation of a simulated server network that will act as a test
bed for automated scripts
?        Create and execute test plans to evaluate new and existing
features for each release
?        Evaluate robustness and scalability of infrastructure level
components
?        Work closely with product management to maintain the level of
quality in the product over multiple releases.
?        Work closely with software engineering team to determine the best
way to increase the quality of the product.
?        Act as advocate for, and guardian of, the user experience.

Minimum Requirements
?        A Bachelors degree in computer science or related field
?        At least 2 years of experience with a programming language
?        Ability to communicate well with engineers and business
principals.
?        Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
?        Ability to work both independently and in groups and be able to
set own goals based on shifting priorities.
?        Experience with multithreaded applications

Highly Desired:
?        At least 2 years of experience with the python scripting language
?        At least 2 years experience in Software Quality Assurance.
?        At least 2 years experience with server development or testing
?        Experience generating automated tests based on pre-existing
documentation (technical specification, bug reports, etc).
?        Familiarity with basic networking concepts