[Baypiggies] Alex Martelli - Python for Programmers, 4/10/07

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Fri Apr 20 18:49:21 CEST 2007

On 4/20/07, jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:

> Tony suggested that Alex's outline might be
> a good basis for Newbies Night. I can't help
> thinking that asking Alex to re-present his
> talk would solve the problem.
>
> Your thoughts?

NP from my POV, I'm always glad to present, but -- my talk's about 90-100
minutes' worth and is aimed pretty high -- to people who are already
experienced programmers in (say) C++ or Java, not to newbies per se.  If we
want to address "real newbies", and with a shorter talk, the whole thing
might need major restructuring (e.g. early focus on powerful library
features, while the current talk focuses mostly on the language per se and
only towards the end starts touching on the library, and somewhat cursorily
at that).

So, what's the intended audience for "newbie night" -- programmers
experienced in other languages, or "real newbies", essentially new to
programming?

Alex