[Baypiggies] newbies night newbies

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sat Apr 21 19:44:27 CEST 2007

    as to the definition of "newbie", we have a couple
of immediate data points:
* the guys who showed up for the April meeting
("came on the wrong night"). They looked and
smelled like coders to me.
* the February email re newbies night in which a
few postings were from self-proclaimed newbies
who were clearly sophisticated software engineers.

    My experience (taught programming for a few years,
tho' not python) is that people interested in coding
and languages have a leg up in some fashion. Even
if not, as another teacher once mentioned, "it's good
for them to hear the words".

    It seems to me that Alex M's 50 page outline is very
good fodder for newbies night, and given that he's
willing to present in May, that's my vote.
    'S okay with you all? Would let us get to soliciting.
    Given his claim that it's a 90 minute or more
presentation, there'd be no time for intros, but I think
that's okay (again, your tho'ts?).
    If there's not quite enough time to get through it
all, well that seems okay too. Brings to mind the
possibility of two nights, part one and part two, with
time for meaty Q 'n' A.