[Baypiggies] Python Engineer - VMware - Palo Alto, CA

Hayley Charnaw hcharnaw at vmware.com
Mon Aug 27 22:52:29 CEST 2007

Python Software Engineer - ESX Installation and Update Management

VMware

Location: Palo Alto, CA

VMware Inc., a pioneer in virtualization software for industry-standard
computers, is seeking a software engineer with strong distributed systems,
client-server and scalable applications development experience.  ESX server
is a robust, production-proved virtualization layer than abstracts processor,
memory, storage and networking resources into multiple virtual machines.  ESX
Server delivers the highest levels of performance, scalability and
flexibility required for enterprise IT environments.

This R&D position resides in our Core Technologies Group and will be a part
of our Kernel Applications Group.  This is open source software.   The
engineer in this role will gain exposure to many parts of our core OS and our
applications. As a result of this exposure, he/she will interface with many
groups in and outside of R&D.   This is an extremely visible role, at VMware
we strive to make our user experience seamless.   This is an opportunity to
work with the best and brightest in the industry.

Responsibilities:
This position's primary role is in the design and implementation of Open
Source software for ESX installation, deployment and distribution. Work will
involve interaction with product management and will require work with
releases of new operating system versions, driver updates, and building Red
Hat Package Management (RPM) packages. Most of the coding will be in done in
Python with some limited use of Perl and C.

Requirements:
BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
Fluent in Python.
Experience in Linux administration and configuration.
Experience with RPMs.
Experience building a Linux distribution or Linux rescue disk is preferred.
C and C++ programming is desired.

Experience with signature verification (GPG, Checksums) desired
Experience with GTK or Glade a plus.
Experience with YUM a plus.

Contact Hayley Charnaw hcharnaw at vmware.com <mailto:hcharnaw at vmware.com>

Please include a sample of your Python code.

Hayley Charnaw
Recruiter, VM Kernel
650-427-2130

JOIN ME ON LINKED-IN!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/hayleycharnaw

VMware is the world leader in virtualization software that allows you to run
multiple operating systems simultaneously on the same host. It also allows
the user to virtualize their PC or server into multiple PC's or servers with
the same hardware.  We have over 600 openings and have nearly doubled in both
headcount and revenues the last 3 years in a row.