[Baypiggies] Discussion for newbies/beginner night talks

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Feb 10 02:49:57 CET 2007

In article <45CD1AE2.8090503 at ulmcnett.com>,
 Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> wrote:
> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> >> #) Use the source.  Don't just read it!  Update it!  If you're having a
> >> problem with a standard library module or a third-party module, remember
> >> that you're not dealing with a compiled DLL.  You can log in as root and
> >> throw some print statements into the thing!  Remember to undo your
> >> changes before you leave.
> > The fact that eggs (zip files of packaged Python code) make this harder is
> > the main reason I don't like that packaging format.
> Agreed. I think eggs may be great for getting required stuff on user's
> machines, when for whatever reason you didn't want to be polite and
> package it up for them with py2exe or something. But for developing,
> nothing beats having things closer to the top level in site-packages.

eggs do not have to be zipped; that's just the default.  To install eggs
unzipped, use the -Z (--always-unzip) option to easy_install.  If you
always want eggs to be installed unzipped, add a few lines to one of the
config files read by setuptools or easy_install, for example:

$ cat ~/.pydistutils.cfg
[easy_install]
upgrade = 1
zip-ok = 0