[Baypiggies] Discussion for newbies/beginner night talks

Andrew Brown andy_lists at bananabread.net
Sat Feb 10 08:58:03 CET 2007

Chad Netzer wrote:
> I'll get the ball rolling with a few idioms and tips
> that I can think of, without explanation.  If people are interested in
> the why, or wish to add some, please reply and discuss.  Perhaps it
> could evolve into a good QA topic for beginners.

Wow, this is the best stuff I've ever gotten out of the Python group or
meetings. I think you're onto something here.

What I am finding so valuable:

Dealing with fundamental and frequently used python idioms,
But giving them a thorough workout and showing how to use them well and
Pythonically while avoiding common pitfalls.
Demonstrating the consequences thereof (good and bad).

Revolving around highly utilized components gives the very new plenty of
time to pick up on the basics.
Further showing how to use and abuse the idioms draws out the experience
in the crowd to help intermediate people faster catch on to what isn't
readily obvious in basic documentation or from light usage.

Maybe what I'm envisioning is a "Things you wish you'd understood sooner
in Python - night"

(Hopefully I posted this comment in the right place.)

Andy