[Baypiggies] Memory usage

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Feb 16 23:08:41 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> I saw a talk at PyCon two years ago that said that Python would never
> give memory back to the OS.  That's probably changed, but I'd check
> first.

That's "partly changed", not "probably changed".  ;-)  PyMalloc does
change the way Python interacts with malloc(), but many OSes never return
memory to the system free pool until an application exits.  OTOH, it
mostly doesn't matter, either: even when it's not returned to the general
OS pool, memory that is free()'d is usually marked such that it doesn't
require physical RAM.

"I disrespectfully agree."  --SJM