[Baypiggies] Fwd: Request to mailing list Baypiggies rejected

Ken Seehart ken at seehart.com
Wed Jan 10 23:50:32 CET 2007

Danny Yoo wrote:
 . . .
> Hi Russell,
>
> But this isn't anything too new on any particular mailing list:
> discouraging crossposting is typical -- in fact, expected! --- on almost
> all mailing lists.  Please see:
>
>      http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html

   . . .

So how about if we generally discourage cross posting, but not ban well
intentioned cross posting
(especially from our friends at Google :-), and offer the following
alternative:

<suggestion>
Pick one list as the primary target.  Post the message there.  In this
case it would be BayPiggies
because the message was suggesting a meeting at BayPiggies.

Make a brief post with a summary (or even a copy -gasp-) of the message
or announcement to the
other list(s), stating that the thread will be continued in the
BayPiggies list (include an invitation to join).

If a heathen :-) does do a cross post, gently inform them of the
problem, and fix the problem
appropriately, e.g. notify the secondary list(s) where the main thread
is, and invite them to join.
</suggestion>

Generally, I don't like the idea of rejecting a well intentioned message
that has potential value to our
community on a point of protocol, unless the breach of protocol is so
damaging that there is no
other reasonable choice.  The world isn't perfect, and we do our best.

- Ken