[Baypiggies] New List Admin? (was Re: Fwd: Request to mailing list Baypiggies rejected)

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Thu Jan 11 02:41:23 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 16:19 -0800, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> <rant>
>
> I propose we remove Aahz from running the BayPiggies list.
>
> I think this is good timing, as we also have a new Program Chair.
>
> Anybody else agree?  Clean house in 2007?

No.

Then again, perhaps I don't get a vote, as I almost never attend
meetings either (I live in Las Vegas). And perhaps I should abstain, as
I'm related to him. But still, if given a vote, it would be 'no'.

> I'm sure Mr. Aahz is a fine, upstanding gentleman, but I've -never-
> seen him at a meeting, so I don't think he's really particularly
> interested in this group, except as he can exert power over all of us
> by capricious decisions.  (the PROPER response to this current
> brouahah would have been to send Russell PRIVATE email, asking him to
> re-submit, citing the reasons given.  Or to let it through.)

The decision wasn't capricious. He gave his reasons for the policy, and
more than one person concurred with supporting points.

List administration is a thankless job (hardly one of prestige and
power), as this incident shows. The message was automatically held for
moderation, and Aahz let it through. After the fact, he realized he
shouldn't have (based on an existing policy), so he sent an explanation
to the list.

You can argue with the policy, if you like, but the very fact that there
*is* a policy means there was no caprice.

Personally, I approve of the current policies, as too many lists I've
participated in have devolved into low S/N venues due to lack of similar
ones. If that happens here, I'll have to unsubscribe.

About the only improvement I can suggest is to add a page describing the
list policies (with supporting links) to the website.

> Now, I could be talked into calming down and realizing this was just a
> bonehead move by a novice email admin, and give the guy a break.

Aahz is not a novice list-admin, and it wasn't a bonehead move.

> And, if I recall correctly, a different list member called for a new
> admin for this list a few months ago...
>
> (Lastly, it is a _really_ bad idea to piss off Russell, a true Python
> devotee, due to some guy who never shows up at meetings.)

There is more than one way to be active in a community these days, and
showing up at meetings is just one of them. Perhaps you should examine
the results of the following searches (meant only as an illustrative
example, I assure you, and not meant to be taken as an indicator of
relative worth or merit):

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/search?group=comp.lang.python&q=%22Russell+Whitaker%22

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=%22Mike+Cheponis%22

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/search?group=comp.lang.python&q=aahz

> </rant>

I don't really have anything further to say on this topic (which means I
won't respond to further rebuttals, if any, on-list), so if anyone (for
whatever reason) wants to continue this discussion with me, email me
privately. Thanks.

Sincerely,

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com