[Baypiggies] Pycon 2008

Alvin Wang alvinwang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:49:57 CET 2007

On 1/11/07, Alvin Wang <alvinwang at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/9/07, Guido van Rossum < guido at python.org> wrote:

> > > BayPiggies is not an organization and cannot assume legal liability or
> > > insure anything.  At some point, when a facilities contract needs to
> > be
> > > signed, there is no legal entity which can sign.
> > >
> > > BayPiggies needs to have
> > >
> > >          a) a legal structure,
> > >          b) volunteer(s) who will accept personal liability or
> > >          c) sponsor(s) who will sign contracts
> >
> > No, the PSF takes care of all the legal liability, as it has done for
> > all past PyCons.
> >
> > The only thing you need is one or more volunteers with local
> > connections willing to put in time.
> >
> > The PSF will sign the papers, has an existing insurance contract, and
> > has enough money in the bank to take the financial risk (of course
> > this also means the PSF board needs to approve the budget).
> >
> > --
> > --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/<http://www.python.org/%7Eguido/>
> > )
> >

> I have received a bid from Crowne Plaza near SFO.  It compares relatively
> favorably with the Dallas event.  I expect to see a few more from near SFO.
> I have sent in a letter to Santa Clara Convention Center.
>
> Mike Cheponis has said that he is interested in helping out.  Is anybody
> else interested?  You can reply to me directly.
>
> Thanks
> Alvinwang at gmail.com
>
> Status of the 2008 bid

5 people have volunteered to help.  1 person is checking with Fort Mason.  I
have talked to Santa Clara convention Bureau.  They are sending it to Santa
Clara hotels.  My gut says that a SFO or SF bid will do better.  The BART,
Caltrain and free SFO airport shuttles would seem to be more compelling.

I have been emailing the Pycon 2007 Chair.  Chicago and Boston are bidding.
Personally, I would hate to go to Boston.

--
Alvin Wang