[Baypiggies] Fwd: Request to mailing list Baypiggies rejected

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 03:00:40 CET 2007

On 1/11/07, Marilyn Davis <marilyn at deliberate.com> wrote:

> ----- On Wednesday, January 10, 2007 whitaker at google.com wrote:
> > This discussion needs to die a whimpering death right now anyway, since:
> >
> > 1.) The speaker has already indicated he won't be able to join us, and
> > 2.) I've lost interest in helping now, for reasons I've already given.
>
> #2 is exactly why this discussion needs to continue.  I too, several times, have thrown up my hands at the idea of helping because of unkind behavior here.  This 'feature' of the list is taking a big bite out of meetings.

It's very easy to read an insult in an email that isn't there.
Russell made a simple protocol mistake.  He got insulted by the
response.  Russell, I'm sorry you felt slighted.  I'm thankful for
your contribution--keep it up!  Let's just move on.

> But where else can a person go if she wants to celebrate in the church of Python?
>
> How about we have a second python.org list: one specifically for organizing the meetings?  The rotating list-owner/slave would be someone who is interested in supporting the meetings and treats the people who volunteer like the valuable and important creatures they are.
>
> I just requested info on how to start a python.org email list.
>
> What should be the name?
>
> If anyone has suggestions, I can set up a poll for us next week.  I'm away from my desk this week.
>
> JJ, would you be willing to facilitate such a list if I set it up?  If, after a year or two, no one else volunteers to relieve you, I will.

I think that this whole incident was rather unfortunate.  I'd hate to
see us split up over so small a thing.  I will serve if requested, but
I'd prefer not to fork.

> Similarly, Jim Stockford and others involved in the details of arranging meetings, would you be willing to join a different list that is specifically for this purpose.
>
> Then, this list can be the more general purpose discussion and announcement list.  And, heavy-handed moderation could be a good thing and we can be grateful that we have Aahz to do it.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/