[Baypiggies] Let's welcome the new year!

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Thu Jan 25 05:48:03 CET 2007

----- On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 jjinux at gmail.com wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Aahz has "passed on the torch" of mailing list moderator to me.  As my
> first official duty, I'd like to sincerely thank him for all his hard
> work.  It's often said that being a mailing list moderator is a
> thankless job--the same people who complain about your policies are
> the ones you are in charge of protecting from bounced messages, spam,
> etc.  I'd like to thank Aahz for all the junk email I never even knew
> existed ;)

Yes, thank you Aahz!  It's a difficult job that lays you open to lots of criticism.   And thank you JJ for braving it.

Now I have someone new to whine at so I won't always be picking on Aahz. :^)

> I'm also excited about the speakers that Jim Stockford is busily
> lining up for our enjoyment this year.  All in all, I'm looking
> forward to another fun year!

Yep, looking promising.

> Now, I have a question for you.  Many members of this group would like
> to have a moderated baypiggies-announce mailing list.  Indeed, the
> volume on the normal baypiggies mailing list can occasionally become
> burdensome.
>
> I propose:
>
> * We create a moderated baypiggies-announce mailing list.  Job
> postings would not be welcome here.  In fact, it would be used only
> for baypiggies meeting announcements and perhaps announcements for
> other Python-related meetings.
>
> * The current baypiggies list could remain a place for Python
> discussion, a *small* amount of Python job posts (still requiring that
> the jobs be for Python and in the Bay Area), meeting planning, etc.
> I'd also like to see mail from the baypiggies-announce mailing list
> automatically forwarded to the baypiggies list so that people only
> have to subscribe to one or the other; it can be burdensome to have to
> subscribe to too many lists.

+1

This is a great solution.  If we like how things are, then we do nothing and everything remains the same for us.  If we are tired of all the traffic, we can unsub here and sub to the new list instead.

Seems like a total win, JJ.

Thanks,

Marilyn