[Baypiggies] Let's welcome the new year!

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:43:13 CET 2007

On 1/25/07, Marilyn Davis <marilyn at deliberate.com> wrote:

> ----- On Thursday, January 25, 2007 ylchobe at gmail.com wrote:

> >> I think a separate baypiggies-jobs list would be the best solution to the
> >> jobs issue.  90+% of BayPiggies members aren't looking for jobs and would be
> >> annoyed by lots of job posts. The remaining 10% are looking for work and
> >> would likely welcome a large number of jobs.
> >>
> >> If you are looking for a job, you subscribe to the jobs list.  If not, you
> >> don't.  Seems like the simplest policy.  There is no value in having job
> >> listings go to the 90% who don't want them.
> >>

> Just to clarify, the proposed job list will not have discussion or announcements, just jobs, right?
>
> Then, JJ will have to be very hard-nosed about job-postings, *no* job-postings on this list, but he can send them to the job list.
>
> If this is ok with JJ, who will have to be the cop, then:
>
> +1
>
> from me.

+1 from me

This is a summary of what I'm hearing:

baypiggies-announce would contain:
  * Meeting announcements for *just* BayPiggies.
  * Reminders that we need speakers if we get low.

baypiggies would contain:
  * All of the above.
  * Plus general Python chatter.
  * People organizing the talks can use this list or break into
private email as they feel is appropriate.

baypiggies-jobs would contain:
  * Python job postings.  The requirements would be a bit looser.
That is, recruiters would be allowed.  Jobs outside the Bay Area would
be allowed if relocation expenses were included or if the work could
be done from the Bay Area.

Do we have rough consensus?

Best Regards,
-jj