[Baypiggies] Talk suggestions (Python WTF snippets, PEPs, collections)

Chad Netzer chad.netzer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:19:19 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

   I had a few ideas for possible BayPIG talks, discussions, bull sessions, etc.

   I'm a reader of the The Daily WTF (thedailywtf.com), which is often
funny, and sometimes informative.  It is just a collection of
programming practices, stories, or code snippets that make you think
"WTF?"  It made me think of how perhaps I use Python precisely because
it seems harder to fall into certain WTF coding practices.  Still, I
think a talk with some representative examples (ie. anti-idioms,
beginner mistakes with Python, abuse of features, etc) might be fun.

   In that vein, if people are interested, and want to be on the
lookout for such things, I wouldn't mind collecting (w/ attributions,
credit, or denials if requested) examples of such Python WTF code in
hopes of presenting it at a future date. I know if I looked through my
old GUI code I'd find a few.  I see it ultimately as a learning
exercise, with hopefully some good laughs.  Any excited about the
idea, looking for such code, contributing, etc?

   Also, having been out the Python world for a bit over a year, and
working my way back into it, I am interested in possibly preparing or
following up on a PEP or two.  I'd be interested in a talk by anyone
who has written a PEP, and in the process involved (the kind of
feedback given, etc.) and maybe catching up on some of the recent and
active PEPs.

  Personally, I'm quite interested to find out more on any efforts to
(perhaps) get a multidimensional numeric type included with Python
(PEP 209 seems to be withdrawn, but work on the new numpy module is
proceeding).  I was thinking it would be useful to have a basic
statistics module included with Python (rather like the scipy addons),
and I especially think something like the dispatcher.py module would
be nice.  I'd be willing to work towards developing PEPs for both.
Anyway, a PEP talk (groan) could be cool; anyone else interested?

  Also, somewhat related to that, the 'collections' module now exists,
and I'd like to see a few collections added over the long run.  Python
now has maps, sets, lists builtin, and Queue, heapq, collections.deque
as standard additions.  What else should be standard?  Personally, I
think splay trees, and an additional heap type, would be beneficial.
Other ideas?

  So, there are a few of my random thoughts about both talk ideas, and
maybe list discussion topics (especially if anyone in the area wants
to collaborate on some of the coding of these things).

Chad