[Baypiggies] Pylons & AJAX job at Metaweb/Freebase

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Wed Jul 4 08:02:02 CEST 2007

Hey folks -
Some of you may have heard some of the hype around Metaweb and Freebase, (
http://www.freebase.com) but I'll bet you didn't know we're a big Python
shop too. We've got an application server that we built last year out of
best-of-breed WSGI-oriented third party libraries... including many
libraries that made their way into Pylons (formencode, paste, nose, genshi,
flup, selector, and more). We love the dynamic nature of Python and have a
creative, elegant architecture to work with.

We've recently begun work on a new appserver based specifically on Pylons to
drive www.freebase.com - but we also have a large AJAX codebase that gives
Freebase it's highly interactive features. We're trying to marry the two and
could use a lot of help. Our user interface is very dynamic and derived
entirely in realtime based on schemas from freebase, so the work is
challenging and unique.

We're looking for people who are very strong with Python; Pylons experience
is a huge plus. AJAX and related technologies are a must as well - you'll
probably spend half your time in Python and half your time in JavaScript.
Plus, we're really pushing Genshi & XPath to it's limits (who here loves
py:match? we do!)

Metaweb is a great group. There's a great diversity of talent from language
weenies who worked on JavaScript, Netscape and Mozilla in the early days, to
database gurus who learned their way around at Oracle, to folks who really
earned their stripes at services companies like Yahoo and TellMe - a
top-notch crew. We even have a few academics. Most of us went through the
dot-com days the first time around: so we may have a Ping Pong table and a
Wii but we work damn hard too because we know we've got to deliver.

We're based in downtown San Francisco (Montgomery & Howard)

Anyway, that's just my take. The job description is here:
http://www.metaweb.com/jobs/srajaxengineer.html

As the Pylons project is fairly new, we haven't updated this description to
reflect the Pythonic nature of the job, but rest assured there's lots
there..

Oh, and if AJAX isn't your thing, we also have
http://www.metaweb.com/jobs/dataengineer.html

Feel free to ask me any questions about the job or freebase. And if you'd
like a freebase invitation just drop me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send
an invitation your way... just mention that you saw my post on BayPiggies...

Alec