[Baypiggies] new web application framework.

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:46:21 CET 2007

On 2/28/07, Keith Dart ♂ <keith at dartworks.biz> wrote:
> Shannon -jj Behrens wrote the following on 2007-02-28 at 16:20 PST:
> ===
> > > What I didn't like about Pylons is that embeds the assumption that
> > > you're using threads.
> >
> > I don't agree.  You can use Pylons without threads just as well.
>
> But the modules I looked at import threading and use locks. I just
> didn't want the threading module imported at all.
>

> > By the way, my framework, Aquarium, which is what IronPort still uses,
> > was based around the idea of being completely thread vs. process
> > agnostic.
>
> My framework is actually process model agnostic as well. But, as I
> said, Pylons is not. I just happened to do the final implementation in
> a subprocess model, but the core components are process model agnostic
> as it should be.
>

> > That's a deployment issue.  You can do that just as well in other frameworks.
>
> But not as easily.
>
> > I complained about that to Jacob Kaplan Moss at a BayPiggies meeting.
> > They're currently fixing that.
>
> Too late for me. ;-)
>

> > I have no clue what you mean by that.  I really like Genshi.  When I
> > use Genshi, I can decide to have it generate HTML or XHTML, and it
> > guarantees the HTML to be well formed.
>
> As does my XHTML generator. Templates have hand-code markup in them.
> Any time you have hand-coding you introduce the possibility of errors
> that are hard to detect (e.g. typos in a tag name).
>

> > Several frameworks do that, including Nevow and Quixote.
>
> Not exactly... Quixote just embeds markup in docstrings.
>

> > Ah, Genshi is the ticket for that.  Most frameworks also allow you to
> > put Tidy in as middleware.  I use to do that in Aquarium in
> > development mode.
>
> Genshi is similiar. But I don't need it since I have my own equivalent
> (and it's also used here at Google ;-)
>

> > No insult, Keith, but I think the problem with Python Web frameworks
> > is that it's simply more fun to write your own than to take the time
> > to learn someone else's.
>
> Well, yes, there's that too. ;-)

No insult, but it just makes me very sad to see this wheel constantly
recreated when clearly the functionality you want is easily achievable
using what's already out there.  When you create another framework, it
means that you won't be contributing to an existing framework, which
is a net loss.

It reminds me of the fact that everyone buys SUVs to keep their
families safe, but it's really at the cost of the safety of everyone
else.  Hmm, maybe that's stretching it a bit far, but it still makes
me sad.

Well, good luck with that.

-jj

--