[Baypiggies] Python course for non-programmer

tpc247 at gmail.com tpc247 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 06:23:52 CET 2007

On 3/6/07, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:

> wesley chun wrote:
> >> I've tried but I just get so distracted when reading tutorials online
> >> or any of the many Python books I own... I need a sit down and listen
> >> to an instructor course that'll teach me what I need in an immersing
> >> way.... does anyone know where a non-programmer can get such training?
> >

> > donna,
> >
> > this is a good question.  on the flip side, i've developed what i
> > think is a really good course called "Introduction to Programming".
> > there is a "(using Python)" at the end, but i feel that it is not as
> > much about Python as it is about programming in general.
> >
> > the problem is that i've had no venue in order to deliver the course.
> > it's not something that i can just go and market, you know?  how do
> > you contact or reach non-programmers to tell them about a programming
> > class?  i can't very send anything to the mailing list or CLP, so most
> > technical folks *are* programmers!  so although i am ready to teach
> > such a course, i have yet to find a way to deliver it.
> >
> > just go to the website below, and click "Python Training".  look for
> > the "Intro to Programming using Python" class and click once more to
> > get a course description.  maybe if i can find a place to announce
> > this to, i can actually hold this 2-day course!!
> >
> > in a dilemma,
> > -- wesley
>

> wesley and all,
>
> Assuming wesley does figure out how to do the course,  what do you think
> the
> value would be of a CD that was one big (or a bunch of small) AVI file
> format
> that had 3 'tracks' - audio, video of presenter, and a 1024x768 no loss
> version
> of whatever was sent to the overhead?
>
> I need a few 'talks' lined up to justify purchasing a $300 vga->usb thingy
> plus
> the trouble to figure out how to make it all work.  the local (chicago)
> user
> group is an obvious choice.
>
> It 'can' be done using software installed on the presenters laptop, but
> that
> causes just enough problems to warrant an external solution.  If it works
> as
> hoped, it will be used at PyCon08 where there just isn't time to do the
> software
> thing on 100 different laptops.
>
> basically, all I am asking for at this time is to be kept informed if you
> plan
> on doing something.  at that point I can figure out what my plans are and
> we can
> work something out.
>
> Carl K

hey Carl, my name is Thuon.  It's funny that you mention the three tracks
concept, as well as a $300 device that I assume is used to hook up the
laptop computer to a projector of some sort.  These two topics came together
and introduced themselves into my life last week in a class, Molecular
Genetics, I am taking this semester in a new "green" building paid for by
the taxpayers of Berkeley, California:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/05/DDGGOKU3411.DTL

The other day a classmate came by and hooked up his computer with I believe
such a device to the two projectors newly installed in our laboratory and
lecture room.  He then brought up a video with I believe the best interface
I've seen so far for presenting talks and lectures, and by extension,
lessons.  The presentation we watched was by Joseph G. Marx, PhD, from
Baylor College of Medicine, on Stem Cells.  The top left corner had video of
the talking head of the presenter, directly beneath the talking head was the
hyperlinked outline of his talk which one could intuitively navigate, and
the rest of the screen was taken up by the presenter's slides.  The sad part
is my friend's machine was running WinXP and the interface was created using
proprietary software (RealPlayer).  If only such a interface existed on the
web using free software!

The link to the interface I am referring to is at:

http://www.bioedonline.org/presentations/index.cfm#stemcells

scroll down to "The Cell: Stem Cells" and click on "Video, audio, and slides
(cable/DSL)"