[Baypiggies] Baypiggies snippets

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Mar 27 11:42:04 CEST 2007

On 3/27/07, Keith Dart <keith at dartworks.biz> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:30:06 -0700
> "Chad Netzer" <chad.netzer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I'd be rather ticked off if:
> >
> > import arbitrary_module
> >
> > were to change the _builtins_  (which is what I assume we are talking
> > about?).  But, if I've missed the point, enlighten me.  I do wish to
> > know.
>
> We are talking about __builtins__, but not altered by one module.
> Suppose there were a large collection of modules, call it a
> "framework", and it was stated that by using this framework you also
> received, at no cost to you, a bunch of extra built-ins for you to use.
> Generally, these new builtins would be used in your code along with
> the framework modules. Would that be more acceptable?

Only if the usage instructions for that framework said to use "from
convenience_builtins import *"  if you would like the functions to be
global. And of course it should work if you explicitly reference the
functions from within the module.

In other words, it should be just like anything else. Adding globals
is already easy, there's no reason to make it hard to *not* add
globals.

-bob