[Baypiggies] Wanted: a few good C/C++/Python developers

Rick Kwan kenobi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:07:06 CEST 2007

On 10/11/07, Matt Good <matt at matt-good.net> wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 10:11 AM, bjorn at ambientchill.com wrote:
>
> > Just as a disclaimer, I'm not interested in the job, I just have a
> > question for Baypiggies related to this email. It seems like most jobs
> > for Python require some kind of extensive C or C++ background. Is this
> > true? I am a JavaScript developer and I'm happy with what I do, but
> > someday, maybe in a few years, I wouldn't mind finding a Python
> > development position.
>
> Not necessarily.  My work at YouTube has been 100% Python and it's
> the same for most developers here.
>
> BTW, there are openings for Python developers at YouTube as well.
> ActionScript experience would be a big plus for one of the
> positions.  If you want some more info email me and I'll look up the
> postings.
>
> -- Matt

Whether you need C/C++ depends on what you're developing.  If you're
building scriptability for server-side shared libraries or DLLs, then
naturally you need C/C++ and would never touch JavaScript.  On the
other hand, if you're managing a client UI backed by a web server,
then C/C++ is useless and JavaScript is your friend.  And to my joyful
glee, Python is used in both.

--Rick