[Baypiggies] Wanted: a few good C/C++/Python developers

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Oct 12 00:38:29 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007, bjorn at ambientchill.com wrote:
> Just as a disclaimer, I'm not interested in the job, I just have a
> question for Baypiggies related to this email. It seems like most jobs
> for Python require some kind of extensive C or C++ background. Is this
> true? I am a JavaScript developer and I'm happy with what I do, but
> someday, maybe in a few years, I wouldn't mind finding a Python
> development position.

My current job is rather jack-of-all-trades -- my company just hired its
tenth employee and I'm one of five developers.  We don't have any
sysadmins, so all devs do double-duty or more (I also do a lot of
front-line support, as do most of the devs).  The skills needed for a
developer in my company include:

Linux sysadmin

The HTML and JavaScript are mostly embedded in our ancient and somewhat
homebrewed web templating system.  There's also some ColdFusion.
Overall, to the extent that I spend my time programming rather than
support or QA or sysadmin or docs -- it's about 70% Python/SQL, 20%
templating, and 10% other stuff.

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.