[Baypiggies] November talk?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Oct 26 01:26:44 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> As much as I'd like to finally meet Aahz in person, I'd still really
> like to see a breadth-first talk providing an overview of a bunch of
> different topics such as:
>
> * Threads.
> * Processes.
> * Asynchronous IO.
> * Stackless.
> * Coroutines.
> * Erlang's approach.

IMO, covering all of those is essentially impossible in a single
BayPIGgies meeting unless you use a hand-waving approach instead of
technical detail.  (Or just power through the presentation without taking
any questions, but such a presentation would only really be intelligible
to people already familiar with the material.)  IIRC, we previously
suggested doing two of these per meeting for a breadth-oriented approach.

Concurrent programming in general is hard.  Really really difficult.
>From my POV, it's overall better to cover individual topics in some
depth and let people learn enough to make their own decisions.

> Threads are cool, but they're a gigantic pain ;)

Not if you follow a few simple rules....  (But that's what my talk is all
about. ;-)

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.