[Baypiggies] November talk?

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Sun Oct 28 01:45:25 CEST 2007

Here's an idea: a roundtable on concurrency. Rather than trying to do a
single, monolithic top-to-bottom of every approach, we cover the basics and
then delve into a more interactive session where people discuss specific
issues that they care about.

I personally think we could have one person do a handwavy talk for 30-40
minutes about the 3-4 major Python concurrency approaches:
- forking - basic process behavior, IPC approaches
- basic threading - what's a thread, what's a lock
- async I/O - how it works, scheduling issues
- stackless - what is it, what's a channel?

Leaving coroutines and erlang as being too advanced for the average person
interested in Python concurrency...

Then, you have some "experts" (maybe one per pattern) sit and have a
discussion in front of the rest of the group for an hour or two.

I think I'd be willing to even be the dummy who handwaves about these 4
approaches if I could find 4 willing experts to correct my naive
simplifications in a constructive way, through the roundtable discussion. I
am by NO means an expert in any of these areas but I understand the concepts
well enough, and have dabbled just enough in each of them to get myself in
trouble. As a bonus, I think I have a guy who would be willing to claim some
expertise in Stackless.

Here's the catch: I just can't justify the time commitment (to myself or my
family) to truck down to Mountain View from Berkeley without a car, and
without living near BART! (I don't know how jj does it from his place, if he
does!)

If there is no SF-based venue that people usually use, I can probably offer
up space at my company (Metaweb) at Montgomery & Howard in SF (near the
Montgomery BART and Transbay terminal) - This doesn't have to be one of the
monthly BayPiggies meetings, just a one-off SF-based meeting with a specific
focus.

Is this something people would be interested in?

Alec