[Baypiggies] November talk?

Libor Michalek libor at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 23:51:28 CET 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:37:20AM -0700, Matt Good wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>
> >* Start with describing a single threaded, single process Web server.
> >* Mention threads and multiple processes, per Apache.
> >* Mention select, kqueue, etc.
> >* Explain how Twisted wraps those things using callbacks.  Show
> >callback style.
> >* Have Alex show how you can do simple coroutines with generators..
> >The PEP itself has some pretty good examples.
> >* Have Libor talk about how Slide does things with Stackless Python.
>
> Are there any greenlets experts that would care to comment on them?

  The greenlet module is a mechanism for manipulating and maintaining
multiple execution stacks within a single program. It is one of several
ways to implement the stack manipulation necessary for coroutine context
switching. There are other ways, besides greenlet, to accomplish the
coroutine stack manipulation. As far as stack manipulation modules
greenlet is probably the most space efficient at the expense of some
context switch time.

  Just to clarify Slide doesn't use Stackless Python, in our operating
environment, to implement coroutines. Instead we use a fairly standard
build of Python and a stack manipulation module.

-Libor