[Baypiggies] Guido's Blog: It isn't Easy to Remove the GIL

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 01:20:00 CEST 2007

At the risk of fanning the flames, here is a random vignettes:

Many years ago at a dinner with Bjarne Stroustrup (of C++ fame),
Bjarne laid out , on the back of a napkin, a graph of parallel
programming fads over thirty years.  His premise was that it took
about sixty operations to fully switch a process and about one to just
change the PC register.  On one point of the fad, everything was a
separate process communication over RPC (or a common file, or a shared
buffer, or, now, an XML stream) and people would complain about the
swizzeling involved and the cost of switching processes.   A new fad
would emerge where a bit more careful specification was required by
the programmer in return for less swizzeling  and better performance.
 Another fad would move to light weight threads with more care
required by programmers to avoid subtle bugs.  Eventually, each thread
would be required to mange its own concurrency system in a blindly
fast execution.  Then the cycle would reverse, with some new
improvements preventing esoteric bugs at the cost of some performance.
  He charted the period at about eight years.

Now in Python, we worry about the overhead of the interpreter
footprint.  Are we still just chasing this cycle around?