[Baypiggies] concurrency talk

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Mon Sep 17 17:59:53 CEST 2007

Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> Someone hinted at this idea earlier, but it might be fun to have an
> overview discussion on a bunch of different concurrency techniques.
> We could have a bunch of speakers, each speaking for 15 minutes on a
> specific topic.  For instance:
>
> * Processes
> * Threads (kernel and green)
> * Parallel programming vs. distributed computing
> * IO bound vs. CPU bound
> * Asynchronous
> * Twisted
> * Stackless
> * Actors
> * Erlang
>
> We wouldn't actually try to cover how to use each of these.  Rather,
> the goal would be to explain what it is and what are its advantages
> and limitations.  That'd be a fun talk to give assuming we can keep it
> shallow enough to cover everything but deep enough to make sense.

I think its a good idea but I'd be more interested in specific python
technologies that provide the various parallel execution techniques (I
personally wouldn't be too interested in learning about threads vs
processes again, but I think stackless would be really cool from what i
gathered at pycon).  I've seen a number technologies out there but don't
know too much about any particular one of them.  I've heard that scipy
provides some kind of alternative parallel mechanism for the heavy math
calculations, that might be cool to learn about.  Another thing I'd be
interested in learning, if anyone knew anything about it, would be the
distributed computing side of things (maybe someone's got a cool
dispatcher that can take chunks of python code and ship the whole block
of it to a remote site for execution, and maybe I should just research
it myself ;)  ).

Just some thoughts,

Carl

--