[Baypiggies] concurrency talk

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Sep 17 20:41:56 CEST 2007

I believe the failure modes and trust models are fundamentally
different. In distributed computing, you have to deal with nodes that
are lying (an important motivation for E, actually) as well as network
partitions where two groups of nodes continue to work but have
fundamentally different views of the world. In parallel computing,
there are no trust issues, and typically a failing CPU either causes
the entire computation to fail (I expect that this is how 2-8 core
systems deal with a single CPU failing -- at best you can disable a
CPU at boot time) or at least is taken out of the computation
permanently.