[Baypiggies] daemonize

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 22:26:40 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>  >
>  > The Python Cookbook has a pretty good module for daemonizing a
>  > process.  It's not something that's likely to change, since this
>  > procedure has been the same for a decade or longer.  Has anyone
>  > brought up the idea of including it in the standard library?  I'm
>  > actually pretty surprised it's not there already.
>
>  There's been some discussion of adding a pyprocess module similar to the
>  threading library -- it probably should go with that.  As always, patches
>  are welcome.  ;-)

I like the processing module.  I personally think that's a good
candidate for the standard library too.  Personally, I think a
daemonize function is different.  If anything, I think the posix
module would be a better fit.

The code I'm referring to is in the Python Cookbook.  It's trivial to
provide a patch.  I was just wondering if there was a reason it hadn't
been done already.  I know how hard it is to get things into the
standard library, so I'm skittish.

-jj

--
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords!
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/