[Baypiggies] py2exe. Python(x,y). Distribution issues.

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 02:49:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Stephen McInerney
<spmcinerney at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  This whole wider issue of building with multiple package interdependencies
> across
>  multiple platforms and Python versions is getting to be a headache, touched
> on
>  it when discussing the Enthought distribution at April meeting.
>  (Yes I know your case was with py2exe.)
>
>  Another recently-launched free distribution is "Python(x,y)":
>  Python 2.5 + Qt + MinGW + Eclipse + C++/Fortran + scientific libraries +
> 2D/3D plotting:
>  http://www.pythonxy.com/
>  (currently downloadable for Windows 2003/XP/Vista; other platforms coming.)
>
>  If we're talking about SCons, can we also talk about these things?
>  Some people commented to me on the status of distutils and eggs.
>  It's worse when you have multiple "foreign" dependencies to various
> non-Python packages.

To some degree, SCons is a separate topic, or at least it is in my
mind.  You're talking about "how do I get these libraries to coexist".
 I'm talking about "how do I write software to automate my various
dependency-oriented project tasks".

That reminds me, have you remembered to hug a Debian developer today?
Boy, they make dealing with version hell look easy, don't they?

Have you looked at virtualenv.  I'm haven't been 100% sold on the idea
yet, but I know it's a way of running multiple projects with their own
separate required versions of various eggs.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords!
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/