[Baypiggies] Python available on Nokia Devices since 2005

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 9 18:18:52 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Charles Merriam
> <charles.merriam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I remember the GPS being specifically locked to a 'higher' level.
>>
>> I haven't found a cheat sheet; you need to look through http://forum.nokia.com.
>>
>> Fundamentally, it seems like a developer program run on bailing wire
>> with too many paranoid lawyers.
>
> To be fair, the engineers themselves seemed smart, helpful, and
> passionate about Python.  I think it's tough for Nokia to get too
> excited about Python since they're really trying to sell the Symbian
> C++ thing.

Having met with these people a few times, I would say there's definite
tension between Nokia as a company and the engineering group that
developed the Python release. I think we can support them by
contributing, promoting, and other community activities, without
paying too much attention to the rest of Nokia's developer programs.
Maybe it'll educate others inside Nokia about the value of open
source.

See also mobilenin.com...

--Guido