[Baypiggies] SF Python Meetup, Our Location, Django SF Meetup, Intermediate Python at Foothill

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 10:45:20 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, wesley chun wrote:
>> What: January Hack Session - Theme: App Engine
>> When: January 7, 2009 7:00 PM
>> Where: Click the link below to find out!
> When I saw the meetup page last, I had to give my personal information to
> meetup.com and sign in before I could see the location.
> I found that creepy, and so I have not yet learned the location of this
> event.  I also find it weird that this email to the Baypiggies list doesn't
> say where the event is despite the subject saying "Our Location".
> Meetup sort of creeps me out since it turned away from its free-of-charge
> community roots that empowered the Dean Campaign in 2003. The fact that no
> one will tell me where this event is, unless I give personal information to
> Meetup, particularly makes me feel uneasy.

It'll be held at Slide, 301 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.

My guess is that no one expected you to find Meetup creepy especially
since the SF Python group is a Meetup group.  I think everyone
probably assumes that Meetup is yet another one of the billions of
sites that you'll need to create a login for.

Please note that that meeting is a SF Python Meetup meeting.  It's not
BayPiggies per se, so we can't exactly tell them not to use Meetup or
anything like that ;)

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa