[Baypiggies] History of python naming

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 02:24:51 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 3:54 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 3:46 PM, Jeff Younker <jeff at drinktomi.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have pointers to the history of python naming
> > conventions?   I'm curious how the std library ended up with
> > outliers like StringIO.StringIO.
>
> It was simply me experimenting with different ways of doing things,
> way, way long ago. And perhaps not pushing back enough on alternative
> naming conventions used by early contributors. PEP 8 came much, much
> later.

The killer for me was camelCaseMethod names.  I seem to remember them
being allowed by the style guide seven years ago, and I have a bunch
of legacy code using them.  I remember when I first read the style
guide again and noticed that they were not allowed.  I was like,
"Crap!  How am I supposed to change the public API of open source
code?!?" *sigh*

-jj

--
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords!
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/