[Baypiggies] Pycon for the Bay Area

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jan 18 15:33:51 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> Several current and former Piggies have worked BayCon and other
> Science Fiction cons as staff. I Heather Stern, Deirdre Moen at least.

<cough>  Me, too.  (Though I haven't ever worked BayCon "officially",
and it's been years since I did anything at all.)  And if you're going
to mention Heather, you ought to mention Jim, who's more of a Python
person.  ;-)

But yes, there are lots of people around, the question is whether they're
available to help.  More importantly, someone needs to step up and say
that they're willing to be the person in charge of the bid -- I don't
have enough spoons.

> Would Google like to be a sponsor?

We should probably send e-mail directly to Leslie Hawthorne, I don't know
how much she monitors the list.  But they're almost certainly going to be
a sponsor (they're a Diamond sponsor for this year's PyCon plus they're
sponsoring the Core sprint); again, the question is whether Google
can/will contribute people resources to make an SF PyCon happen.

Another point is that this is really a four-year commitment (2008 through
2011), because the central PyCon committee will probably prefer to again
have PyCon in a single location for two years.  I don't want to scare
anyone off, but I also want to be realistic.

indirection."  --Butler Lampson