[Baypiggies] PDI/Dreamworks Is Looking for Pipeline Engineers

Drew Perttula drewp at bigasterisk.com
Thu Jan 31 03:14:57 CET 2008

Norman, Tim wrote:
> *_Production or Pipeline (Python) Engineer_*_ –*MAYA or Houdini*_
>

> The Production Engineering group designs, implements, and maintains
> software that "glues" together the software and data used in the
> creation of animated feature films. Production engineers understand the
> entire computer animation process and use that knowledge to develop the
> DreamWorks global animation pipeline.
>
> We are seeking a highly motivated person with experience in both
> software development and in computer animation production.
>
> As a production engineer, you will:
> * Maintain the existing software systems used in the production of our
> films
> * Enhance, modify, and redesign the systems to accommodate the
> ever-changing requirements of production
> * Interact with animators and technical directors to solve technical
> production issues
> * Use your understanding of computer animation to come up with creative
> solutions to difficult technical problems

* and work with me!

I make it to most of the meetings, so please find me there or via email
if you'd like to hear more about the job (especially the python aspects).

I think I've rattled on about the quality of my workplace before on this
list, so here I'll summarize some of the distinctive aspects:

* All users of our code are internal. You can email or visit them.
They're fun artist-types who also know a bit of unix.

* my products get used pretty quickly to make movies which have my name
in the credits

* we rarely write conventional programs that have been written before--
we try to focus on the issues involved in making cutting-edge animated films

* company presentations often involve wearing stereo glasses [1]

* we occasionally build light sculptures, such as these pulsing
jellyfish that hang over my desk [2]

[1] http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=3978

[2]
http://photo.bigasterisk.com/2007/event/jelly?current=http://photo.bigasterisk.com/digicam/jelly2/IMG_0165.JPG