[Baypiggies] newbie nuggets

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 04:08:41 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Anna Ravenscroft <annaraven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Matt Good <matt at matt-good.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 27, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to propose a slight addition to our normal meetings called
>>> "newbie nuggest".  I propose that *at the beginning of each meeting*,
>>> we have a *10 minute* section devoted to newbies in which we cover one
>>> intermediate topic.  It doesn't make sense to cover how to write a
>>> "for" loop every month, but it would make sense to cover something
>>> like generators.
>>
>> Great idea.  Another good short topic:
>>
>> Micro-benchmarking with timeit

For those of you who use ipython, it wraps a convenience timeit function:

In [2]: timeit sum(range(1000))
10000 loops, best of 3: 69.5 µs per loop

Type

timeit?

for the gory details. (it was handy to have it as a builtin because we
could never remember quite how to use the one from the stdlib :)

Cheers,