[Baypiggies] SciPy 2008 conference / early registration ends July 11

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:20:29 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
> I had asked about SciPy last year and was sad I missed it. However, I don't
> see anything on the agenda for BioPython this year =(
>
> Is it just not as popular in the SciPy community? I know BioPerl still has
> more "market share," but I'd like to learn more because: I "heart" me
> python...

Just to clarify things, the question should be asked in reverse: is
biopython not very popular in the bioinformatics/computational
molecular biology community?  The talks presented  at scipy'08 were
simply selected from whatever was sent by potential presenters, so
either:

1. no talks on biopython were proposed by anyone.

or

2. talks were proposed, but they were ranked below all the other
proposed talks by the committee based on the technical quality of
their abstract.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the tutorials organizers, but I'm NOT on the
program committee.  I do not know which of the two above happened.

Cheers,