[Baypiggies] ANN: SciPy 2008 Conference

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:29:46 CEST 2008

Thanks.

I am the chairbeing of the Bay Area PyCon2010 bid, one of three
proposals. My Number 1 is Aahz, who lists himself on the PyCon wiki
page for our bid as "border collie". I would like to see how we might
work together on our respective processes. I will be talking to OLPC
about a booth at SciPy2008, and I will submit a proposal for a session
on SciPy applications in education on the OLPC XO and its successors.
For example, we have digital oscilloscope software in both time and
frequency domain on the XO in the Measure activity, and we are
considering how to do scientific visualizations in electronic
textbooks. Alan Kay has a demo of a sequence of guided explorations in
Smalltalk (Etoys) and with the built-in video camera that has proven
successful at introducing calculus concepts and Galilean gravity with
uniform acceleration to 10-year-olds.

PyCon would love to have a good turnout of SciPy users for the
conference itself and for the coding sprints that will come after, and
I will be happy to recruit attendees for your conference from up here
and elsewhere.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The SciPy 2008 Conference website is now open:  http://conference.scipy.org
>
> This year's conference will be at Caltech from August 19-24:
>
> Tutorials:        August 19-20 (Tuesday and Wednesday)
> Conference:  August 21-22 (Thursday and Friday)
> Sprints:           August 23-24 (Saturday and Sunday)
>
> Exciting things are happening in the Python community, and the SciPy
> 2008 Conference is an excellent opportunity to exchange ideas, learn
> techniques, contribute code and affect the direction of scientific
> computing (or just to learn what all the fuss is about).  We'll be
> announcing the Keynote Speaker and providing a detailed schedule in
> the coming weeks.
>
> This year we are asking presenters to submit short papers to be included
> in the conference proceedings:  http://conference.scipy.org/call_for_papers
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jarrod Millman
> Computational Infrastructure for Research Labs
> 10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
> phone: 510.643.4014
> http://cirl.berkeley.edu/

Edward Cherlin