[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 06:40:40 CEST 2008

For "What's up with this global interpreter lock?" question:

A1.  Much of Python is not multi-threaded.  After many experiments,
variants, and systems, the unfortunate confusion is that removing the
global interpreter lock increases code complexity and reduces overall
reliability.  For most systems, calling some subsystem that implements
threading, such as a database or transaction manager, is the correct
model.

What's with "Duck Typing?":

A1.  There are two key advantages over the Java style of strict
typing.  First, many applications touch HTML, XML, or other networked
subsystems that pass around structured data in the form of text.
Using Duck typing greatly reduces the amount of code written for such
code, and removes the error prone type casting the occurs in other
languages.   Second, there was a study (reference someone?) showing
that computer programmers with some experience did not, in practice,
make the typing mistakes prevented by strict typing.