[Baypiggies] Frequently Argued Objections

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Sat Jun 21 02:02:43 CEST 2008

What about http://pypi.python.org/pypi/OOoPy/1.4.4873 ?

>> enough", and maybe there's no good-enough OODoc python library yet.

There are many (look on PyPi for OpenOffice) but I have had no need to
use any of them so I don't know whether they're "good enough" (but why
shouldn't they be? parsing XML from a zipfile is hardly rocket

>> Still, in terms of discovery, perl has CPAN, and perl folks seem to like
>> ...  well no, they seem to tolerate it.     Does Python need an improved
>> CPAN?
>> Still, I get "poor extensibility" as a top critique of python probably more
>> than anything else these days.
> The Python version of CPAN is PyPI.  "easy_install whatever" will

Yep, it's really weird to see PyPi totally ignored in such "critiques".

I guess this boils down to the Python community as a whole being
really bad at marketing, even compared to the Perl one, much less the
Ruby one (the latter being great at it).